A long-time ice hockey center and right winger from Scotland, William “Bill” Thomson played on junior teams with the Fort William Legion and the Kenora Thistles from 1929-1931 before joining the Port Arthur Bearcats in 1931 (then known as the Port Arthur Hockey Club). He rose to prominence with an Allan Cup victory in 1935 and a silver medal at the 1936 Winter Olympics as a member of the Canadian delegation to the Games. At these Olympics, he appeared in eight games and scored seven goals. He played one more season with the Bearcats, and then entered the International American Hockey League (later renamed the American Hockey League), playing two seasons with the Syracuse Stars. During this time he was called up by the National Hockey League’s Detroit Red Wings to play four games, but he scored no goals and returned to the AHL for several years playing for the Pittsburgh Hornets and the Indianapolis Capitols. At the end of the 1943-1944 season he played for the Red Wings once more, scoring two goals over five games, before returning yet again to the minor leagues until his retirement at the conclusion of the 1948-1949 season. During this time he had stints with the Capitols, the Hershey Bears, the St. Louis Flyers, the Minneapolis Millers, the Tulsa Oilers, the Dallas Texans, and the Seattle Ironmen. He was inducted into the Northwestern Ontario Sports Hall of Fame in 1987 as a member of his Olympic team.