As it had been in 1928, the event was conducted outdoors at the Olympic Stadium. Men and women skated compulsory figures and a free skating program, with the compulsory figures counting towards 60% of the final score, while pairs skated a single free skate program. One change in the competition was the reduction in the number of compulsory figures from 12 to 6, specifying that figures could begin on either the right or left foot and did not have to be skated with both feet. Overall placements were determined by the majority placement system. By now, it was standard to have nine judges. This was true in 1948 in men’s and ladies’ but the pairs competition had 11 judges for the only time in Olympic history. An ice dancing exhibition was given in St. Moritz, although details of it are lacking. Ice dancing would not be contested at the World Championships until 1952 and at the European Championships until 1954.