American sculptor Marian Brackenridge was known for religious sculptures and figure groups. She grew up in Pasadena and then studied sculpture at the Art Students League in New York City. She later returned to California, where she was educated, amongst others, by Alexander Phimister Proctor. Brackenridge settled in Santa Barbara and started as assistant to Ettore Cadorin (1876–1952). From 1941 she lived in “La Brenta”, a house in Sonoma where she had a studio. Brackenridge’s sculpture was influenced by the 16th century Italian sculptors. She mainly produced religious motifs, notably for the National Cathedral in Washington, DC. Also well-known are the plaques at stations of the legendary “Pony Express”. She mostly painted still lifes.